Thursday, May 26, 2011

Let them eat CAKE!

G's birthday is coming up. I've been thinking about what we'll do for his party already. The first birthday is a big deal. I have tons of ideas swirling around in my mind, so I decided to test one out.

I saw a rainbow layered cake online and thought, "Hey, I bet I could do that."
Rainbow_2_by_bittykate.jpg
Find this cake here

The only catch is that I'm not much of a baker and I've never made a layered cake that looked very good.  But there's a first time for everything and if I could pull this off, it would be AWESOME!

I started by mixing up two white cake mixes and dividing the batter into six bowls. I just eyeballed the amount and estimated what would be about the same amount in each bowl. Then I got out my trusty box of food coloring and started adding drops to the batter. Well, hello little colored droppers!

It was a total experiment. I had no idea how much color to add, so I just kept adding drops until it looked bright enough. It was a little difficult to mix the colors in my Fiesta bowls, so next time I'll try to find bowls that are clear or white. 

Oh and don't be jealous of my faux marble countertops. I know they're cutting edge.

After mixing the colored batter, I started baking my layers two at a time.



I let the layers cool a little bit, then wrapped each one in plastic wrap and popped them in the freezer. Sadly, a couple of the layers cracked and the green one broke completely into three pieces, but it was really my fault for not being careful enough. Oops!

The layers turned out pretty much the same size, which is great. And they seemed flat enough, so I didn't do any fancy trimming of the top. It wasn't a big deal for the first couple layers, but the whole thing got more "rounded" as it got taller. Since this was a test run, I opted to just do frosting between the layers and on top instead of covering the whole cake. (The truth is that I'm horrible at frosting a layered cake and I'm using the "test run" as my excuse.)

Voila!



I know it's not perfect, but it turned out better than I expected. It was really fun to eat and all the crumbs looked like confetti. Who doesn't want to eat a rainbow confetti cake? I'm so glad I attempted this crazy layered cake. 

I'm going to do a variation of this idea for G's birthday. We'll see how it turns out. It could be a disaster, but at least it will look fun!


2 comments:

  1. I have seen these lately, and I'm totally thinking about making some variation for Reese's birthday this fall. So glad you tried it out...GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby and I made this but in the form of cupcakes for the first day of spring last year! FUN!! http://5goodgriefs.blogspot.com/2010/03/spring-break-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete